PDA

View Full Version : do low trucks make a difference?

Joey-Kize
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
do low trucks make it noticeably easier to do flip tricks and all that, or is the height difference only a matter of preference?

CraigBray
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I like lows, I run Tensor Low's because i like the low height. It doesn't make a huge difference other than comfort really.

tattoo_of_a_potato
04-20-2011, 02:25 AM
all your answers are legitament on why to ride low trucks. I personally like high trucks, because...its probably the difference of a riser on a low truck. I like my boards at 8 inches even (mostly) so, they fit and line up perfectly for a good ride. allows larger wheels with a high. and i see highs as good practice, so if you really do like lows a whole lot more, then you can easily switch back. whatever helps you get them flip tricks.

jarvis
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Its preference and performance. It doesn't necessarily make it easier to do flip tricks, but it is a lot different than on high trucks. Your tail hits sooner, so you technically get less pop, but pop is all in your legs so there should be no issue there. Turning isn't as sharp with low trucks, but that doesn't mean they don't turn well. So we find ourselves back at preference again. You can go back and forth, but in the end it's all up to you and what feels right/best. The only way to know is to try both if you haven't already.

Mo
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Jarvis pretty much explained it all. It just comes down to preference. I prefer Low trucks, but just try some out, see which ones your comfortable with. Do note that Low trucks aren't made to TURN great though, so just keep that in mind.

fullyflared
04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
i ride high trucks... i used to ride lows i really don't find there's any difference but i just like the feeling of riding a little higher off the ground, straight up, jarvis is right on, it's all about preference.

skizzy
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
i like low trucks because its easy to pop tricks and keep the tricks down by my feet or shin & knee high, some people keep confusing other skaters by saying low trucks 'give you more pop' - thats not true. It actually makes you pop faster, not higher - and that is 'easier' to pop faster...popping slower with a high truck ,makes me force more power into a trick and then its harder to do a trick for me.... ... what i mean by' easier' is your board stays down lower under your feet and you can level off your tricks better and keep your tricks lower and more level off the ground, with high trucks -sometimes the board can 'pop' really high, higher than you expect and mess you up, if you skate a certain wheel size, than that means you can feel slight differences..if your one of those , than you will definately feel the slight difference from low and high trucks..

Same goes for decks, the more concave and higher your nose and kicktail are - the more you'll have to try, and the higher you'll have to get in order to do the tricks.

On a different note, Higher trucks are a must if you ride 8.3 or wider decks, because of the turning and clearance- room needed from Wheel to Deck......if you have low trucks on an 8.5 ... you'll go to turn and stop dead in your tracks..from wheel bite...

Also Low, Mid, High Trucks all very from Brands... you might find that a Indy low is actually the same size as a Thunder high - a Thunder High is actually a Mid. ... You just have to go out there and skate alot, and shred all of you stuff up forcing you to buy and try new brands until you find the one you like.

LB2475
04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I've always skated standards and lows. I am sure highs would good for tranny because of needing to have good turning and control when going faster at weird angles. Idk Indy standards have always worked fine for moi

Mo
04-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Also Low, Mid, High Trucks all very from Brands... you might find that a Indy low is actually the same size as a Thunder high - a Thunder High is actually a Mid. ... You just have to go out there and skate alot, and shred all of you stuff up forcing you to buy and try new brands until you find the one you like.

LOL. You're kidding, right?

skizzy
05-19-2011, 12:41 AM
LOL. You're kidding, right?

No im not kidding. i work at a skateshop fool. and ive compared all of these trucks on a table. side by side.

if you want more info - i'll spell it out for you. you know english right?

(by the way) youre the one who thinks jason lee invented the treflip/// HAHA you are a poser man.

Dilby
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
I have two setups that I skate regularly one has Indy Lows and the other has Indy Forged Standards. They are the exact same setup except the trucks and bushings. Honestly the only difference I can tell between the two is the Bushings which are completely different (Bones Hardcore Soft vs. Indy Stock). The Indy lows are just slightly and I mean slightly lower than the Indy Standards. The only major difference between the Indy Lows and Standards that I can tell is that the Indy Lows will not support Bones Hardcore Bushings while the Indy Standards will.